Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Best of the Decade - #2

Memento (2000)
Directed by: Christopher Nolan

When I first went into this movie, I had no expectations. Ever since, its been one of my favorite movies of all time. Today, I might not marvel so much at its originality, but ten years ago, I was so taken with what this movie did that I couldn't get enough of it. I still can't. Its a movie that never gets worse no matter how many times I see it. Memento is the masterpiece from a director who gave us The Dark Knight. The strength of this film is not that its told backwards, its not the great performances or the brilliant direction. Its strength is in its simplicity. The story is simply a murder mystery, but like Hitchcock before him, Nolan surrounds a simple story with so many fascinating elements to make an original, compelling, and entertaining movie. Second only to a single movie this decade, Memento is one of the best movies ever.












No comments: