Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Most Disappointing of 2009 and Most Anticipated for 2010

In 2008, I think every movie I saw made my most disappointing list. This year, the list is small, but it does exist. I was really excited about a handful of movies that didn't quite live up to my expectations. Here's the list in no particular order.

Public Enemies
By saying this film was disappointing isn't to suggest that it was bad. I'm not sure that it was good but it definitely failed to meet expectations. This was the kind of movie that was perfect in the hands of Michael Mann. His gritty, handheld style of filmmaking seemed like a perfect match for John Dillinger but it never really did it for me.







Funny People
A movie called Funny People, starring Adam Sandler, Seth Rogan and the rest of the Apatow gang should have been much funnier. Even so, what was more discouraging is the length of the film and the unnecessary length at that. The last half hour was so wrong for this movie that without it, this would have been a much better film.







The Invention of Lying
Going into this movie, I had little expectations. Its disappointing because I read the script which, considering the cast attached, could have turned into the funniest movie ever. It wasn't. I chuckled, but the film turned out to be a waste of some great material. I kind of wish I'd never read the script and never knew what could have been.







The Road
I credit the Coen's for making No Country for Old Men what it is more than I credit Cormac McCarthy. Even so, I expected more from The Road... forgive me... but I expected a story. The Road had a few great scenes and some cool set design but that's about all it can really boast. Without trailers, there'd be far fewer disappointing films, but there are trailers and The Road had a good one. It wasn't much of a movie though.






Inglourious Basterds
Yes, I was disappointed in this film. Not in the same way I was disappointed in the previous four films I've discussed, more disappointed that the collection of such masterfully crafted scenes didn't blend into a great movie for me. I have a strange relationship with Tarantino films as I've repeatedly made known. I often like his films more over time. With Basterds, if my opinion has changed at all since seeing it, its gotten worse. My frustration with the film has mounted. I admit, seeing it again could change everything, but I don't think that my disappointment in the film as a whole will completely disappear.





There are a few films making their way into theaters in 2010 that I'm excited for. Who knows what kind of year it will turn out to be, but based on a few trailers and some story/director pairs on the horizon, it could be another good year.

Shutter Island
It doesn't matter that I know what happens in this movie or that the studio maybe didn't think it was good enough for Oscar buzz so pushed it to February, its still a Scorsese movie and I'm excited about it.









The Social Network
Never has such a dumb idea for a movie excited me. David Fincher at the helms of the Facebook movie with Jesse Eisenberg starring is enough for me to buy a ticket. It could turn out to be another Benjamin Button, but it could also be another Seven.


Green Zone
I'm not on the edge of my seat waiting for this one but Paul Greengrass and Matt Damon do garner some excitement. The last time those two paired up they made a kick ass, albeit, forgettable movie but its still fun stuff to watch









Inception
This will, of course, be the best movie ever made. I anticipate it will be 2010's box office record challenger. The James Cameron Christopher Nolan competiation (that isn't really a competition) will continue with Nolan making the best movies and Cameron making more money. All that crap aside, Inception looks so good that I'm excited just writing this anticipatory review!

No comments: