Thursday, January 7, 2010

Shame on me...



When compiling my top 25 films of the decade, I through I remembered every movie I've seen over the past ten years worthy of making the list. I did however, somehow miss a movie that flirted with my top spot of 2004. Sideways has earned its way to the top of not only that year but of the decade but at the time, there was another movie that blew me away both in story and in what is just an incredible performance, one of the best I've ever seen for that matter.

Alejandro Amenabar's The Sea Inside starring Javier Bardem is about a quadrapalegic man who wants to be euthanized. The themes of this film are powerful, the visuals are breathtaking and Bardem is so good, him not even being nominated for an Oscar was a crime. This was my introduction to Bardem whom I've since loved in No Country for Old Men, Vicki Christina Bacelona and even in Collateral. I can't be sure where The Sea Inside would fall among the top 25 of the year but it would be in there and I'm ashamed that I left it out. So now, the best I can do, is mention it as an honorary pick.

No comments: