Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Best Films of the Decade - #25

There was a time when I easily upkept a list of my favorite 50 films of all time... in order. Well its been (if my math is right, and it rarely is) seven years of movie watching since I did that and now I'm realizing how difficult any movie list is as I compile my top 25 films of the last decade. The years 2000-2009 have graced us with films like Gladiator, Adaptation and Amores Perros... some of my favorite movies... but not among the 25 best films of this decade.

The most important thing to remember when reading this list is that its not perfect. There is always the chance that I missed a film worthy of the top 25 or that the order in which I've set these films is inaccurate. That having been said, this is the list I was able to come up with and I'm satisfied with the fact that even if it is not 100% accurate, all of these films are great movies of the last decade and by extension, some of the best films ever made.
------
Crash (2004) 
Directed by: Paul Haggis



At first I was hesitant to even put this film in the conversation. However, looking back at 2004, I realize that it was my favorite film of that particular year and that it was in the midst of Paul Haggis' association with brilliant films.  Crash mixed great performances with real situations thus creating a entertaining and powerful film. Its been a while since seeing the film but I can't ignore the fact that at one time, it was better than any other movie I saw during a 365 day period within the 3650 day period within which I'm attempting to find the best films. That's a bit wordy... Crash is a great, great five-star film worthy of the 25th best film of the past 10 years.

No comments: