Saturday, August 1, 2009

2009... so far



I haven't seen a whole lot of movies this year so far and I've been able to review even fewer. So making a top five at the halfway point wouldn't really work out. Instead, a simple breakdown of each film I've seen so far...

Adventureland - At this point, the number one movie of the year. A funny, dramatic and heartfelt coming of age story.
500 Days of Summer - #2 of the year... A funny, dramatic and heartfelt coming of age story (I'm such a pussy)
Up - I suppose this would fall in at number three mostly thanks to a lack of options. While far from what Wall-E was last year, still another achievement for Pixar.
Public Enemies - Failed to meet expectations by a longshot but still had the Michael Mann look and feel that is impossible to escape or dislike.
Terminator Salvation - Could have been worse, but I'm pretty sure there was no way it could have been better, so by that rationale, a perfect movie?
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - A story within a much bigger story needs to be much more compelling throughout than this film achieved, but overall, still a well made movie.
Away We Go - Here's a movie that wanted to be way better than it was. It also thought it was better than it was so tried to get away with too much.
The Hangover - God, this movie sucked.

What's left to see?
Funny People
Moon
The Hurt Locker
Sherlock Holmes
Shutter Island
The Invention of Lying
District 9
The Serious Man
Big Fan
Where the Wild Things Are
Inglorious Basterds
The Box
The Road
Brothers

Expectations aren't nearly as high for any of these films as last year but I think I may have learned my lesson and I think my top ten of the year could be very satisfying.

No comments: