Friday, June 5, 2009

Away We Go (2009)

Directed by: Sam Mendes
Starring: John Krazinski, Maya Rudolph

The easiest review of this film would be to simply say that its a funny movie. The more complicated review would require one to dissect every character and how they relate to our protagonists and how Burt (Krazinski) and Verona (Rudolph) stick together through thick and thin... boring...

Having now
separated myself from my first thoughts on the movie... that being that it was good not great, I'm able to be more accurate in saying that it was not boring and not exciting. In fact it was very level planed. The mood of the film rarely altered and while Burt and Verona were relatively quirky and a likable way they seemed pretty simple in comparison to the outrageous supporting roles that ranged from hilarious to obnoxious.


The characters journey seems unprovoked and necessary at the same time. In other words, the opening suggested that the poverty stricken expecting couple had no choice but to find a more suitable environment to raise a family, while at the same time, I couldn't help but wonder how this expecting couple felt they could afford such a journey. As it turns out, the couple both work and have money even though no one would know it after watching the two discuss the boarded up window in their apartment as they attempt to keep warm by candle light.

I can't decide one way or another how I felt about this film. It has its ups and downs and I went with them. It was almost suitable. The characters go through ups and downs, as does the quality of the film, as does my opinion of it. I think that is probably the definition of average.

**1/2

No comments: